Old 05-25-10, 01:50 AM
Rupert
n00b

Bikes: Bike-less at the moment!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I take my bike back to the shop? (cable routing, bar tape, cable length)

A little over a week ago I took a friend's bike to have it tuned up, and decided to get 2 estimates before choosing a bike shop. The bike is a Colnago VIP and had around 4000+ miles w/o a full tuneup so I expected quite a bit (it's had parts replaced as needed but had got pretty unrideable for safety). The first place wanted $650 which included a whole lot of brand new parts, and the second place wanted $200 with a few used parts like bolts and whatnot. I decided to go with the second place because I figured that I could always get the other work done later if i wasn't satisfied.

I picked the bike up today on the 25th even though it was promised by the 20th - had to use another bike for the weekend but no big deal. What bothered me was the front derailleur rubbing against the chain when I spun the cranks. This was pretty noticeable and I took it in after getting about 3 steps out the door. "Oh sorry not sure how that happened," was the response I got. Not a big deal I suppose.

Keep in mind I take my bike to the shop because I don't have the time or training to do it myself. So when I got home I noticed:

1) the cables had been routed differently than before. Now it seems that instead of sitting flush with the bars and going around the back (?) they jut out from the top of the brake hoods right where the palms should rest! I'm not sure how they were before but this doesn't seem right.
2)The bar tape doesn't look professional at all, and looks really sloppy with some exposed bare metal (notice most of the bar is metallic where I presume bar tape should go up until the few inches near the stem clamp are black). An end cap also seems to have easily fallen off somewhere from my car to the front door.
3) Also, there is extra brake cable hanging off the front derailleur seems super long. I've compared it with other bikes (2 factory Spec Allezs) and it looks 1"+ too long and in the way of the pedals

I've attached some pictures, not sure if I should take the bike back or tell my friend aesthetics and the cable/palm thing are negligible. Any input on the cable routing would be especially useful since it involved comfort. Maybe I'm wrong because I'm pretty picky but it just seems to me like whoever did the tuneup didn't quite think it through. The bike place is across town so I want to make sure it's a reasonable journey before i embark - thanks all!

Cable Routing:

Bar Wrap:

Extra Cable: