View Single Post
Old 05-28-10, 01:01 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
On the other hand, there's no reason not to get 36 spoke wheels. He's admitted he's not a racer. No one else could tell the difference between 32 and 36 hole wheels, if they weren't allowed to look at them...
Low spoke count wheels are a disservice to the rider, and are entirely driven by marketing and saving the maker a few bucks a wheel set.
Please don't group 32h in with "low spoke count" wheels. 16, 20, 24... Sure. 28, maybe; but 32 is a "low spoke count?" No way.

Originally Posted by cod.peace
How about 105 hubs, and triple box-section rims with eyelets...handbuilt for $215 plus shipping. http://www.velo-orange.com/dish105fr70w.html and http://www.velo-orange.com/dish105rewh71.html

A locally built wheelset with Sun CR18 rims and 105 hubs would not be terribly expensive.
Those VO/105 wheels are nice. I've seen a couple pairs with my rando club.
CR18 rims (if you can find 'em now) are dirt cheap and super strong. I've got over 1000 miles on the pair I recently built up, and they are indestructable so far. $35/ea for the 32h rims. I already had my hubs laying around from other wheels, so no cost there. $50 for spokes, and I have a pair of CR18 mirror finish 32h rims on an Ultegra rear and SON28 front hub with DT Champion 2.0 spokes for $120 and 4 hours of my time. I've had them on all manners of roadways, from fresh asphalt to pot holed chipseal, and even take them on some pretty rough loose gravel paths. Wrapped with a pair of 32mm Pasela TGs, there isn't much I can't tackle.
I'd place the VO/105 wheels on par with my CR18 pair, given the construction and dimensions of the rim.