Old 05-29-10, 03:04 PM
sdean911

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Ridley Boreas, Felt AR4, and Haro mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
My experience is similar to yours. When I past 40 and started riding hard in the spring after being less active all winter I would develop knee pain in the early season, I tried seat adjustments, I use speedplays as well. Nothing worked. When I was younger it was not an issue I could start hammering pretty early in the season - not only could I get my legs back quickly but the winter weight would drop quickly. This has all changed with age.

You stated that last year you hit it hard after a long layoff and had no problems. Last year you probably developed strength in your legs rather uniformly. Over the winter you probably retained some of that but your mind remembered what your body was able to do at the end of the last season. In the sporing you most likely pushed yourself to get back to the condition you were in at the end of last season. You most likely pushed yourself beyond what your condition was able to support. I went through this for years before I finally figured out how to avoid the early season injuries.

Assuming you have no medical issues and your bike fit is reasonably good - here is what works for me (now at 54). Build slowly in the spring, keeping rides under 30 miles until you begin to feel the strength come back in your legs, no grinding - spin as much as you can. Add some strength training slowly after a few rides - but don't hammer. After about a month start adding more miles and hills - but use a knee brace (I use the neoprene sock style). Keep adding on slowly and soon you will be able to ride hard. I am at the phase this season where I am only using the knee brace when I ride more than 50 miles, been climbing steep long hills for about 3 weeks. Within a month I will only need the brace if I ride a mountainous century.

Also - if you are in pain now you may have to cut back on your rides. I found that I would not heal unless I stopped a ride at the first onset of pain. It took about a month as I recall then I started back slowly. Sorry - once inflamed, tendons & ligaments take a long time to heal.

From what I read when I did my research most of the advice on the web is centered around bike fit - this is important but I did not find much that addressed the special needs of us older riders. My advice is like several of those listed above, stretching, strength training, appropriate knee support and when you have your knees strong they will be able to support the loads you can place on them while cycling.

I have offered this advice in the past here - many times. Sometimes people have found it helpful, some have found something else that works for them. The key here is that you must listen to your body. Take it easy and find something that works for you.

Good Luck - keep trying.
As I was reading this I was having a DUH! moment. That is just what I did. You must be phychic. My responce is to state that this is what sucks about not being 20 anymore. I never had to be careful in the past but obviously that has changed. I am pushing 57 and although I normally feel 30 I guess there are just some things that one just has to give in to.

Note to Wogsterca; I was riding the trainer over the winter but obviously not enough like the real thing.

So today after taking a few days off, I stretched quite a bit and took some ibuprofen before going out. I then rode at around 70% and resisted racing everything I saw including the clock. I got passed twice and just said hi. I never do that. I get dropped now and then but not for lack of trying. Today I smelled the flowers, rode 25 miles, came home and iced the knee and it is just like I never rode. Tomorrow I will do the same.

I really want to thank you guys for your support and advice. Now I just need to remember to do it. Recall is not nearly as good as recognition these days.

Take care all, Greg