Old 05-31-10, 05:19 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk
After a night's sleep I planned to review my post to see if I could make it less dumb. Instead I found some great replies, some including spot-on info. Thank you all.

FWIW, I have never done serious long bike rides but I was serious about running. I've run several marathons, all under 3 hours, my best 2:51, a 6:30 pace, so I know something about building up mileage and hydration. Obviously 6 hours requires more care than 3 hours, but the concept is the same. I was seeking a response indicating it was at least plausible ("yes") but I understand it would require serious effort, dedication, and a lot of good luck. So far my body is comfortable with biking, but I know that could change in the blink of an eye, so I will increase my riding gradually.
Build up to riding 75-80 miles and then jump to a 100. If you can ride 3-4 times a week you should be able to ride a fairly flat 100 miler in 4-6 months (up to 4000 ft of climbing). A 60 miler should feel pretty "comfortable" (the tank is not empty) before you jump to the really longer distances. Comfort and bike fit are extremely important on 60+ milers. As you probably know how important shoe/sock/clothing fit was with running, the same is even more true with bike stuff for 6+ hour rides. Ill fitting stuff can cause both discomfort and potential joint and muscle issues for longer rides.