DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Avalanche325
I just reread and saw that you are talking about 5 bikes. If you went hitch mounted there it would be sticking out pretty far, if you can even find one. I know they go up to 4.
You can always do four on the outside and one inside. But then you're carrying more bikes than people. My optimum loadout with my Jeep is three bikes and three riders plus gear. This means one bike inside, two on the hitch rack and gear everywhere in the cargo area. This leaves me with adequate seating for the three riders to sit in relative comfort for long trips. Now I could attach a +2 extension to my hitch and seat four inside with four bikes outside. And I can stick a roof rack on there to fit more bikes up top and seat an extra rider inside although that starts getting cramped with three adult-sized riders in the back seat thus making long trips pretty much unbearable. If I'm just acting as a bike SAG then I can fit as much as four bikes inside, four on the back (with hitchrack extension) and four on top with one of those fancy roof racks that hang out all over the place. That's pretty extreme though.