View Single Post
Old 06-01-10, 03:26 PM
PomPilot
Kilt wearing cyclist

Bikes: 1974 Montomery Wards Open Road, 1971 Schwinn Suburban, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wauds bluff to Sauvie Island routing?

During the last weekend of Pedalpalooza, in June, I’m going to be in Portland for my annual alumni weekend. I’m thinking of riding from the University Park area (more accurately, the U. Portland campus) out to Sauvie Island on Saturday, for a picnic lunch, and then ride back.

Warning, there will be consumption of mass quantities of Widmer beer on Friday night. Followed by a probable lack of sleep. To be repeated on Saturday night.

Do any of our Rose City area correspondents, have any thoughts or routing advice? Google Maps routes me over the St. Johns Bridge, and along St. Helen’s road to the Sauvie Island Bridge. I seem to remember that the road up to the St Johns bridge on the west side is not the gentlest grade. Nor is the bike lane all that wide (once it starts). Granted, those memories are from driving it, not cycling it. Am I crazy for even trying this? Or am I likely to run into other riders who may have even less of a clue than I do?