Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx; Hunter CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by quester
How has the battery charging gone?

Also, have you charged an iphone...
The battery charging works well, but to get the battery's charging indicator lights to come on I need to be going about 11 MPH (700x35 tires). For my first test I just spun the wheel by hand and couldn't get the charging lights to come on at all -- I worried something was wrong until I went for a ride and they came on solidly by 11 MPH. The battery specifies an input current of 1 A, so I suspect the E-Werk can't deliver the amp until the wheel is going 11 MPH. I wonder, however, if it will take some charge even at lower speeds, just more slowly and without the indicator llghts.

Although I don't have an iPhone, I do have an iPod Touch, and I can easily get that to go into charging mode just by spinning the wheel with my hand. However, I think it only needs 500 mA (0.5 A) to recognize a charge.

I don't know if there's a risk of damaging an electronic device by charging it the correct voltage but too low and inconsistent current. I'd like to think it would just slow the charging time, but I don't know that for sure. I will soon have an iPad, and I don't yet know if I'll be willing to risk charging it directly (presumably more efficiently) or if I'll always want to charge it with my cache battery.