Old 06-02-10, 03:15 PM
aliensporebomb

Bikes: Too many to list comfortably

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
From success to failure (and back to success again).

So I've been here on and off and had lost 60+ pounds back in 2004 where I went from 236 pounds to 165 or thereabouts.

I almost got lazy and complacent about it figuring I could always ride off any extra calories I ate, I was on weight watchers and figured I was covered.

The problem is, due to a variety of circumstances both my wife and myself were not able to ride as much - we both went thru a variety of health issues that stopped us in our tracks and because we weren't combating the caloric input with exercise we ballooned.

Just when it seemed inevitable that I'd need to stop riding my road bike (which had a 200 pound weight limit, purchased by design so that I wouldn't go over that limit) something happened - we were sitting in the waiting room at my chiropractors office and they had a book there we started reading and figured we'd try what was in the book.

The book is called "Sugar Busters".

I'd hit 206 pounds and said "enough of this!" and I decided to cut out processed sugar items and other foods that had a high glycemic index.

I lost 1.5 pounds the first week,
I lost 5.5 pounds the 2nd week,
I lost 3.5 pounds the 3rd week,
and so on....

I've been on this for nine or ten weeks now and I'm at 188.0 as of this morning and still dropping at a rate of about 2-3 pounds per week now.

The biggest problem is I've always had a sweet tooth. By cutting this out almost entirely I'm doing a couple of things: one, I'd learned to subsist on "treats" as a reward for stress as opposed to really being a "once in a while treat". So they weren't really "treats" anymore.

The regular breakfast, lunch and dinners I was eating was not what was making me balloon, it was the "in between" treats I was eating to "get by" at a stressful job.

The funny thing is, once I cut this stuff out, the stress became more manageable and I wasn't so wired on sugared snacks or caffeinated sodas or the like. My personality became more even too.

My wife actually found her body has responded as well or better than mine.

Anyone else try this? I recommend it to just try it out and see how your body responds.

Last edited by aliensporebomb; 06-02-10 at 03:19 PM.