Old 06-02-10, 08:18 PM
msherrouse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommendation on Materials and a Few Questions

Hows it going? I just wanted to get you guys' opinions and hopefully get you to answer a few questions for me. First, I am looking to build my first frame. I am already proficient at brazing from a couple of College and High School classes so im not worried there and I plan on using the tube mitering program on Nova to do all of my mitering. My problem is I am confused on which tubing to select to build with. Given that I am fairly confident that my first frame (road frame) will turn out ride-able, I would like to make it with some pretty nice tubing (Steel). I plan on using a lugged bb and just fillet braze the other joints. So, to my questions haha. Whats the advantage of over sized tubing that has the same thickness as standard (which most I have seen do)? I weight 146lbs, so I assume I could use .8-.5-.8 tubing, or will this be too thin for fillet and I need to use lugs? In terms of tubing, I would like something that feels like my 72 Peugeot with Reynolds 531. I believe 525 replaced it? I would like a relatively light frame to replace my road bike Im racing on now. Anyways, sorry this is a lot for one post but I want to make sure I have all the info I can get before I begin. Thanks and take it easy