Old 06-04-10, 06:56 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Inner chainring spacers found! All hail McMaster-Carr!

I'd been looking for a long time for some 1mm thick inner chainring spacers to tweak a problematic chainline. I don't think they exist, though--Loose Screws doesn't have them, Wheels Manufacturing seems not to make them, Quality Bike Parts doesn't have 'em.... Sure, you can get 1 mm (and thinner) MIDDLE chainring spacers, but they're a sloppy fit on the inner chainring bolt, since there's no nut.
Anyway, I finally thought to check the McMaster-Carr site. Sure enough, in the "shims" section they have round 1 mm shims with an 8 mm inside diameter--matching the chainring bolt--and a 14 mm outside diameter, which is a little bigger than necessary but doesn't hurt anything. They're stainless steel, and a bag of 25 cost $6 and change--a little over ten bucks with shipping added. I've used five, now have a perfect chainline, and now have 20 spacers left for other projects. Life is good.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash