Old 06-07-10, 01:16 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by johnybutts
Won the 45 race today. Got my wheels in the truck 1 minute before the start, so no warmup. Race was hard lots of short hard climbs. Team hotel San Jose had 7 or so riders in the field of 70 I think and they worked us over pretty good all race long up until the leadout.

They attempted a leadout at 1km. I was about 15th. I moved up in the wind to sit righton them at about 700m. Then at 500 m the road opened up for us I found a hole and went. I never stood for the sprint, but just raised the pace super high. People were trying to come around me and I didn't know where line was exactly and just kept it up and crossed the line first
Awesome! They're probably wondering if you're using that internal motor thingy.. =]

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Saturday was our State age-based Crit Championship. It was held at The Driveway, very cool motorsports facility that’s a tight twisting course with a short popper hill that puts the burn into the legs and can help break things up. Even this time of morning it’s already in the 80’s and the humidity is bringing on the funk.

I went in knowing that I’d be heavily marked, that there were some guys that I’d have trouble with in a sprint, and that there was some strong talent including two teammates who had been laying waste to that age group all year. Several other teams had a pretty good presence, I was on my own.

Pre race conversations with the competition went something like this:

“So what are you going to do?”

“Ride hard from the gun”

And that was pretty much my strategy. Got to make it hard so it didn’t come down to a field sprint. If I blew up in the process, oh well.

So I went off the front about 90 seconds in. Look back, and I have three very strong guys on my wheel, and a gap behind. I stay on the front drilling it so there weren’t any lulls. After a couple of laps I pull off and throw the elbow, current points leader pulls through, as does his teammate, as does our other break mate. We’re not flying, but we’re moving well. I notice I can gap folks in a couple of the technical corners and coming over the kicker hill; file that away for later use.

Couple of laps later another 4-5 guys bridge up, including a sprinter who won the State Cup a couple of years ago. My break mates sit up slightly and we slow. There’s a bit over 40 minutes to go and this might come back together.

I go. Hard. Get a gap. 350w for the next 5 mins. Holding the gap at 10 seconds and they are chasing hard. Another 5 minutes and the gap isn’t moving. Keep the head down, you can’t let them think they’re closing.

Then it creeps up a bit. Thirty minutes to go it’s now 15 seconds. The wind is kicking up and that’s not good for one guy OTF, so I’m resurrecting the old Moto GP skills and skipping the tire through the fast horseshoe bend. A second here, a second there. Stay tucked when the course straightens. Keep it around 325w.

Gap jumps to 20. Then 30. Then back down to 20. Watch the clock. Stay steady. Start passing backmarkers and that gets me a few hairy moments trying to figure out which way they are going. Guys are blowing from the heat and the pace, I’m drenched in sweat which starts running into my eyes. I don’t wipe them, I know that’s just going to make the burn worse. Just deal with it.

Finally the lap cards come out. I can see the wind go out of the chase group, they drop further back. I come onto the pack and sail through yelling “coming left!”

They get a free tow for the last few laps. I keep firing away, we’re past the free lap and if I flat I want as much time as I can get.

Last lap the guys I’ve been towing come around as we near the line to sprint out their positions. I go across pointing at the team logo on my chest then raise my hands.

Had planned on racing down in age an hour later to help some of my teammates, but I’m pretty much wrecked, so I make my apologies and collect my State Champ jersey and winnings.

Go home and do laundry.

Excellent, and the photo is great! You seem to have quite the collection of photos like that.

Originally Posted by Dunce
Home town Crit.

Slow pace in part due to wind and the nature of the course. Nothing was getting away all day. A local tank has been riding away in races. He has already gone from a 5 to the 3's in just a few months of racing. I was in a 3 man break with him in a RR a few weeks ago that almost worked. He went off, his teammate was blocking, no one seemed to notice or care.

I suddenly found myself driving the pace as there were only a few laps left. With 2 laps left as we pass the start/finish I notice i'm suddenly slowly riding away from the pack. Out of turn 1 I realize that i'm either going to get gassed and swallowed up at the line, or I'm going to drop it and ride away. I chose the latter.

Much to my surprise, I caught him halfway through the 2nd to last lap. I dug deep...

On the last lap, out of turn 2 the gap was closing. I gave myself 3-5 seconds off, stood up, and hammered. Turn 3 is slightly uphill, continued through to turn 4 leading into a 400-ish meter downhill.

I was doubting myself until I made it to turn 3....stood up and hammered, again. They nearly got me at the line...nearly.

First win in the 3's.
Nice!! Was it windy?

Originally Posted by kudude
coming to grips with being pack fodder in the 4s.

finished 20th? of 60 or so in the iccc 'dash for cash' race yesterday. Went hard for two primes and didn't have the sprint. didn't race smart, but am not sure that I had the legs either way
You can always upgrade based on pack finishes, right?

my race videos