View Single Post
Old 06-08-10, 11:27 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
FWIW runners debate the effects of aerodynamics too. Or, more specifically, the value of drafting.

Most competitive runners agree that drafting during a headwind is beneficial. There's some controversy over whether or not it's worth it when it's calm. Some feel that the cooling effect of having the air move by you is more beneficial than any small difference in air resistance. One guy who's actually quoted some studies settled on speed of 11 mph.

In other words, if you're running at 11 mph or faster in calm weather, then you're better off drafting. If you're going slower than 11 mph, the benefits are negligible.

The only reason I bring this up is that I often hear in cycling circles than unless you're going 20 mph or faster aerodynamics don't matter. The above would seem to contradict that.

On the other hand, I'm talking about racing where times are measured in fractions of seconds. Commuting is a different animal. Better aerodynamics may or may not have much impact on how fast you get to work. For some of us though feeling faster might be as or more important than getting there faster.

Last edited by tjspiel; 06-08-10 at 12:27 PM.