Old 04-23-05, 10:00 PM
markhr
POWERCRANK addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:mad:traffic light ignorance:mad:

Apologies if this has been comprehensively covered already I'm playing catch up.

It seems that we compulsive/obsessive(sensible) road users, that is, if it's red it means stop, are a minority. Judging by the numbers of colour blind(dangerous) cyclists I see on my commute I'd say that's about right.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=77424 - see the poll results

Anyway, while the above is my personal opinion, it seems that the majority of cyclists ignore traffic lights. Does this either greatly increase the danger to the cyclist and other road users(peds and cross traffic) or merely create a more aware and thus safer and faster cyclist?

Also, what are your personal reasons for either stopping or continuing? Does running red lights satisfy a personal urge to ignore authority, is it sheer laziness (can't be bothered to stop start with the traffic) or is it always trying to go as fast as possible with minimal slow down on the trip? Again these choices are personally biased so please either point me at an answer already published or suggest your own reasons for this?
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!