View Single Post
Old 06-09-10, 12:38 PM
jgadamski

Bikes: e-bike and a steel framed roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
google maps is pretty accurate unless you prefer to go into the downtown area greely to interstate, over the broadway and down to front ave. which is pretty far out of the way. A good low geared bike and just find your groove and tractor on is the smartest approach. I used to commute daily over the SJ bridge, and Jeff is pretty accurate.I rarely took the lane on the bridge going uphill,preferring to take the sidewalk until the crest of the bridge,where I took the lane so I could position myself for whatever lane I needed. And you can get some good speed downhill on the road as opposed to the too narrow and often busy sidewalk...( thanks for nothing Oregon Dept of Transportation!).
I have not had any roadrage etc going over the bridge,but with 4 10ft lanes and no shoulder or extra space,its pretty intimidating, esp with the large number of freight trucks using the bridge.
Someday, someday, we at npgreenway hope to have a bike/ped path cantilevered on the railroad brige, from Willamette Cove to NW St Helens Rd. Until then, just suck it up on the SJ Bridge.Its still an inspiring ride!
btw... I met you at the Tweed Ride... perhaps we might link up and do that ride together... i had you as a contact on facebook,but since I ditched FB, heres my email.. my user name at gmail

Last edited by jgadamski; 06-09-10 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added a message