Old 04-24-05, 01:14 AM
theopowers
drink slinger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markhr
Anyway, while the above is my personal opinion, it seems that the majority of cyclists ignore traffic lights. Does this either greatly increase the danger to the cyclist and other road users(peds and cross traffic) or merely create a more aware and thus safer and faster cyclist?
I pause or at least feather at stop signs/lights, but it seems a waste to me to wait when I have clear view, good hearing, and good agility vis-a-vis cars. It also takes a lot of effort and time to stop and start each time, and would reduce the appeal of bike-commuting, earth-saving, etc.

I never go through a stop when others have the right of way, though. If cars are crossing with the green, I stop, and when I come to a stop sign and there are other cars stopped too, I definitely obey the rules about taking turns. What drives me crazy is watching other cyclists roll through such intersections and not yielding to cars who have the right of way. And often when I come to an stop-signed intersection and do a trackstand or slow roll (yielding the right of way), the cars won't go ahead because they expect me to roll through like those other d*ckheads.