View Single Post
Old 06-11-10, 04:37 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
BeCause anyone of us has not experienced such kinds of shimmy means little.. But, sounds like his bike was pretty new.. Frame misalignment or wheels out of true..
Would you not have noticed that before a decent. ?. I certainly expect more from a new bike. Maybe the poster need contact Felt Bicycles.. ?. Anyway , he is OK and with minimal damage to his bike.. After a crash, likely some shop will say, the bike is now no longer in it's original condition , so if there was something wrong with the bike as sold; they can shift the blame to other causes. ?
. After my crash caused by hitting pebbles at high speeds, I am never the same when coming down a mountain. Small pebbles are hard to see much in advance when you are barreling down at 35 mph.
Interesting piece Metzinger.. It's lesson's as shown below . Thanks for posting. Yes. Once a year, well traveled bikes need a look over by a professional. ?>

Shimmy is not related to lo frame alignment or loose bearings, as is often claimed. Shimmy results from dynamics of front wheel rotation, mass of the handlebars, elasticity of the frame, and where the rider contacts the bicycle. Both perfectly aligned bicycles and ones with wheels out of plane to one another shimmy nearly equally well. It is as likely with properly adjusted bearings as loose ones. The idea that shimmy is caused by loose head bearings or frame misalignment seems to have established currency by repetition, although there is no evidence to link these defects with shimmy.

Bicycle shimmy is the lateral oscillation of the head tube about the road contact point of the front wheel and depends largely on frame geometry and the elasticity of the top and down tubes. It is driven by gyroscopic forces of the front wheel, making it largely speed dependent. It cannot be fixed by adjustments because it is inherent to the geometry and elasticity of the bicycle frame

^ Since January 1, 2012