Old 06-11-10, 12:11 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GraysonPeddie
I've been buzzed by cyclists in N. Chickasaw Trail without a warning. My left shoulder got hit by the cyclist's left shoulder and it hurt. The cyclist who bumped into my left shoulder so hard did not give me a warning from afar.
Uh, unless the cyclist was headed towards you how did they brush your left shoulder with their left shoulder?

I'd like to ride my bicycle in the road to the grocery store instead of walking or taking a bus but I couldn't, even though I saw two cyclists riding 2-abreast in the road that surprised me. My mom told me that because I'm blind in my left eye, she told me that I should not take the risk on riding in the road, as motorists does not like bicyclists. But if I do take the risk, my mom told me that I might lose my vision in my right eye, on which I'll be completely blind. Unfortunately, I have to either take a bus or walk to any destination that is about 1+ mile away.
It's not that motorists don't like bikes per se, most probably couldn't care one way or the other. And even those that don't us they really don't want to hit us, even if they use the common get out of jail free card of "I didn't see him." It's still going to be a hassle and cause them more delay than to just harass us.

And I am sorry about your vision problem but I don't see how riding a bike more than a mile could cause you to lose the vision in your other eye. As I am sure as in any city and neighborhood that there are streets between you and your destination that see very little traffic and that would be safe for you to ride on.

Either way, walking or taking a bus is just too inefficient for me and unfortunately, I've been way too obsessive with transportation issues.

So, I could probably understand Dowd Muska's view when it comes to bikes being a threat to Americans. I'm sorry, but I think I'm beginning to have some trouble siding with cyclists in this thread.