Old 06-13-10, 09:01 PM
Ben FR
Climbing...

Bikes: SuperSix Evo, R3, F29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I survived!!! 160 miles and 12k ft in 9:44. Rode the first 75 miles with a slower friend but that actually turned out to be a blessing for me because I finished the last 85 feeling good. The wall at Balcom was not so bad even when I hit it with 100 miles and 9k ft in my legs (with 90 degree temps!). Same with the Portrero wall at 118. Kept the wattage and HR down on the ride for the most part. Ojai to Lockwood and back was HOT! The climb from Lockwood Valley road to Pine Mountain on the way back was brutal. Last 12 miles on PCH were cool and foggy and I powered on the flats at 20-24mph with no wind. Climbing the 30 miles and 5500 ft from the 150/33 junction to the summit lasted forever. Had to budget the water because there was absolutely nothing. Temp gauge hit 92 and no cloud cover.

One other funny (or not so funny) thing - when I was descending from Ojai to Santa Paula I came around a curve and a small rattler was coiled up in the middle of my side of my road!!! I swerved (luckily no one behind me) and barely missed it!!!

I may do an extensive ride report. Lots to talk about. Ride was magnificent. I really want to climb up 33 to Lockwood and then do the 100 mile loop taking Lockwood Valley road to 95 to 33.

Last edited by Ben FR; 06-13-10 at 09:09 PM.