Old 04-24-05, 10:51 PM
FotoTomas
BikeCop

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running red lights by cyclists is a pet peeve of mine. I do not do it and write tickets to those that blatently do. I have no problem with a slowdown at a stop sign and moving on if it is safe. Red lights are different in my opinion. Most of the "Excuses" I have read in this thread would work for cars as well. As such I do not support the practice and will enforce compliance.

The one that bothers me the most is when a cyclist gets stopped and has no idea why running a red light is against the law for bikes as well as cars. They often feel the law does not apply to them. They find out different. Now that I cycle for work as well as fun I have become MORE attentive to this practice.

I am in the minority. Many of the other officers I know tend to avoid the whole bike situation. Saves them the hassle of writing the ticket and court if that happens.

I will admit my attention to this matter was reinforced when the very first traffic accident I worked was a fatality caused by a cyclist running a red light and hitting a pedestrian, killing them. That was 1975. Just 5 months ago two little girls were killed behind my house when a car ran a red light. Red lights mean stop and I am watching.