View Single Post
Old 04-25-05, 06:44 AM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
Maybe the abus wasn't mentioned because it's not as readily available in the USA (yes, I know it's UK's version, but maybe it was targeted to US consumers?). I heard the abus was the best out there, and I can't wait to pick one up when I get back to Europe.

I had the Kryptonite lock they talked about, but both of them failed- the first one only worked for 48 hours before it konked out and the second one only worked for about 3 months before it konked out. My only fear is that the lock may stop working while your bike is locked to it, then what are you going to do?

Koffee
The April 2005 issue of "Cycling Plus" article about their lock tests does includes some European brands such as Abus, Squire, Telock, and Axa. I have posted the "cut times" for the best European models in a post further down in this same thread.

Koffee, your problems with the newer Kryptonite locks might be the same problem I experienced when I first got my 2005 New Yorker lock. It is certainly a bit more difficult to get the NYL to lock than older Kryptonite models. However, after I practiced locking and unlocking the new design New York lock, and got the technique figured out, the lock works well.

The 2005 model of the New York lock has a "double locking" design. That means that the "cuts" at the bottom of both ends of the "U" shackle must be facing the revolving bolts inside the crossbar for the bolts to engage the shackle. If the "U" is facing away from the bolts, they can not close, no matter how hard you turn the key.

So, if the key does not turn easily, just flip the shackle around and insert it again with the "cuts" in the ends of the shackles facing the bolts inside the crossbar.

Still getting resistance when turning the key? Both shackles must be seated deeply and evenly into the crossbar for the key to turn. If there is any resistance when you turn the key, give the round end of the shackle a slap with your hand to seat the shackle deeply into the crossbar. The key should then turn easily.

Most hardware stores stock lubricants made just for locks, and a drop of lock lube in the keyway and on each bolt will make the lock work smoother, especially in cold weather.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 04-27-05 at 09:26 AM.