Old 06-15-10, 07:41 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I would qualify that by saying: If you are wealthy, it is OK...

If you like paying $50 or more every time you fly your bike somewhere, it's also OK. Otherwise, who are you going to get to take your S&S-coupled bike apart into small enough pieces to fit into the 26x26x10 case, and then put it all back together again at your destination?

I would suggest reading Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I have way more respect for people who can wrench bicycles than those who can't (or choose not to). Wrenching motorcycles is another level altogether, so wrenching bikes should be a no-brainer!

My personal line of demarcation of what separates dedicated cyclists from casual bike riders is whether or not they build their own wheels. But that aside, when I wrench my bike, I have no doubts about anything not being sound mechanically. When someone else does it, there is always some doubt...

The above might sound arrogant, and it is at odds with what everyone else is posting, but realize that I am not disparaging those who can't or choose not to wrench, and I hope I am upholding the other side of the argument. The top pros don't do their own wrenching when they are in a stage race, so who am I to disparage those who choose not to?

- Luis
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
Wrenching a bike is nothing - NOTHING - compared to prepping your skis for cross-country ski racing and training. Talk about time-consuming!

I must say I am surprised by the tone of responses to my post. I just said I have way more respect for people who do their own wrenching. Yes, they deserve more respect, just like I had way more respect for camera-bugs who did their own developing (I never got that much into it). This does not mean that I disrespect those who don't do their own wrenching, or who can't bother to Photoshop their digital phiotos. I have way more respect - perhaps I should have said "awe" - for people who service their own cars. I do not, and I certainly don't disrespect myself!

Why are people so darned defensive, so ready to attribute the basest of motives to my post?

L.
I can't speak for others, and am trusting that when you ask for feedback, you really want it. For my part your post is a bit more judgemental than I appreciate. You tend to state things in absolute terms. As I read through your posts, I see that you attempt to moderate your response, but it's hard to get past opening slavos such as, "Yes, they do deserve more respect..." Don't know if you intend it, but my knee jerk reaction is to wonder who made you the judge of what is worthy of respect. Then again, I'm a child of the sixties and don't like anyone telling me what's what.