Old 06-16-10, 06:24 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
So, what - in your mind, there's a bell curve when comparing number of cyclists and driver frustration and, until you get to a certain density of cyclists, driver frustration will continue to rise? I'd agree, but would probably disagree on how many cyclists it would take to get to the down side of that curve and I certainly disagree with your, "we'll never have the numbers, so **** it - why even try?" sentiment.

Things are certainly different where you are, but I've already noticed a huge improvement in driver awareness and courtesy (strange those it may seem to non-NYCers) over the last few years - cars aren't 'pushing' me through single lanes of traffic as often, they're not diving in front of me to make it past the double-parked cars and a driver yielding the right-of-way has become, well, not uncommon. They still need to work on checking for "inside" traffic on turns crossing bike paths, but they're gettin' there...

Anyway, more bikes on the road IS a good thing, and we don't need to outnumber drivers - there just has to be enough of us that drivers take notice and become resigned to the fact () that we're a part of the daily grind that they're just going to have to deal with.
I'd like to agree with you, but I don't. I think that the net benefit to road cycling of most cycling advocacy efforts is essentially zero. That's not a bad thing, since things could get a lot worse, but I think we're kidding ourselves if we think bike paths and more cyclists are improving anything.