View Single Post
Old 04-25-05, 10:32 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by FotoTomas
Most of the "Excuses" I have read in this thread would work for cars as well.
I too find cyclist ed light running a problem both from safety and perception and don't agree with most of the excuses made - that is all they are, excuses, not compelling reasons. I also agree those excuses would work just as well for a car or especially a motorcycle. For example a car can clear an intersection as fast as a bike if they want and can check just as easily if any traffic is coming.

Most important to me is that I acknowledge and respect that I have all the rights of the road that other vehicles have. With that right comes responsibility to follow the rules - once those rules are broken cyclists become second class users of the road. If one wants respect from motorists then don't flaunt the rules.

This situation (which happens occasionally) really bugs me: I pass a slower cyclist, then stop at a red light, then they pass me on my right blow it and then a minute later I need to pass them again (which is not easy with heavy traffic as gaps are not always open) Its times like this I wish I had a door on my bike to open as they pass

Al