Old 06-17-10, 12:17 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdelprete
Does anyone else laugh about bike weight debates? I know it might be flawed logic, but I am not going to worry that my road bike weighs 25lbs when my 230#'s is the motor for it. MAYBE if I drop 30 and am a borderline Clyde I will worry about lighter bikes, butthe easiest and cheepest way to lighten my load is to ride more and eat less, not switch out my bar or fork.
I buy it a little, my mountain bike, as from the shop is 14½kg, as it sits right now it's 16kg (fenders, racks, lights, panniers, it all adds up) the road bike is 11kg, so 5kg lighter, I notice it on acceleration and on hills, that the total package is less hefty. Now that's 5kg about 11 pounds, that's quite a difference, where it gets debatable is when you have a rider talking about how switching from his old 106g brifters to his new 105g brifters makes him 10km/h faster.....

Here is the general rule that I follow, when a component needs to be replaced, if the next model up is less then 10% more expensive then an exact replacement, then I'll shift up a model. There is are two exceptions to this though, first is if I feel the exact replacement is not made as well as it should be, then I'll shift up a model. Second, if an exact replacement is no longer being made then I'll buy whatever I like. If the only difference is the weight, then I'll pass.