View Single Post
Old 06-17-10, 02:04 PM
miamimike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking for some cheap but sturdy Rear Cargo Baskets to hang off your rack, try what I did. I took two black plastic Milk Crates(one for each side) and looking at the Crate from the top(open) I cut the crate practically in half(6 1/2 inches wide). This is just a hair's measurement over half wide. This is just the right width to fit a Gallon of Milk btw. As a back plate for the cut open side, I used a piece of Plexiglass cut the open side the size of the milkcrate. This is the side that attaches to the Rack and the Bike. I drilled several spaced holes in the plexiglass and attached it to the Milkcrate with Zip Ties. This done and the crate now closed on all 4 sides, I then hung & attached it to the Rack and chain stays with more Zip ties until it was super secure. I can easyily carry 20 pounds in each box. If you don't have plexiglass, substitute 1/2 or 3/4 plywood(whatever size you have laying around). Total cost to make the Boxes was under a dollar for the zip ties as the boxes were free as they were discards along the road. Total Time was under a couple hours start to finish..