Old 06-17-10, 02:40 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I don't follow your explanation. Is the Bridgestone's issues at the rear freewheel, while the Zebrakenko's issue is chainskate at the crankset? What freewheel is on the Bridgestone at present?
Yes the Bridgestone is in the rear and it seems like the indexed movement of the shifter/derailleur isn't enough to make clean shifts either up or down. I've adjusted the cable barrel but couldn't seem to make it happy. I'll double check the freewheel but I know it has Shimano 105 hubs so I'd bet it is a Shimano. I know it could be a freewheel spacing issue but I'm happily running a similar Suntour barcon/derailleur and Shimano cassette on my Expedition and it shifts like a dream. The change to a wider chain on the Bridgestone last night did make a huge improvement. I just didn't know where to find new ones any more.

The Zebra is in the front only and probably relates to a combo of narrow and worn chain and the spacers as John E mentioned.

I'll look for the Bell chain at the big box and give that a try on the Zebra which is a flipper- thanks for the tip on the source. Probably one of the last places I would have thought to look.

BTW it does seem like the Sram PC 870 is the successor for the old PC58 I used to use. That may be an option for the Bridgestone which I plan to keep.

Thanks for the info and help.