Old 04-25-05, 03:18 PM
phidauex
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The child abduction thing is a lot like the 'razor blade in the halloween candy' story that freaks so many people out. Turns out the candy thing has only happened once ever, and it was a family member that did it!

Statistics support the notion that if you are going to be kidnapped or *****, it is probably going to be someone you already know, by more than a factor of 2. Great, huh?

I think that if you watch enough news you'll be afraid of everything. I refuse to let the news making something seem scary be a justification for something. Scary sells, realistic doesn't. I carry a huge grain of salt around with me for any mainstream media I read or see.

There are dangers with biking to school, but there are dangers on the bus, and dangers while driving a car. My parents taught me how to ride safely, made me wear a helmet, and made me call if I was going to be late for any reason. I rode my bike quite happily to school from 2nd grade through high school.

Taking away the bike racks is utter crapola. Working families can't always change their entire daily schedule just to drop off or pick up a kid, busses don't always go where they need to go, and some schools are just too far to walk. A bike is a safe and effective way for kids to get around, and it'll give them a little well needed exercise.

Sigh... People wonder why asthma and juvenile diabetes is so common these days. Every little choice we make through the course of the day adds up to an outcome, and we quickly lose sight of the effect our choices make.

peace,
sam