Thread: Bike Weight
View Single Post
Old 06-18-10, 08:00 AM
grimace308
crash 5

Bikes: 90s? serotta t-max, 09' planet x ti frame w/sram force, '10 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedskater
Some decade ago, a bike science group did a test. They put a black water bottle on the test bike, sometimes it was filled with lead and sometimes it was filled with air. The rider was not permitted to lift the bike or bottle. At the end of the tests, not much difference between air and lead. The only difference was the expected hill climbing horsepower to weight factor.
When weight matters, it's total weight not wheel weight, bike weight, or rider weight. (bikes don't accelerate fast enough for rim weight to matter)
while not trying to sound too contentious, i dont buy that one bit and id like to see a link to that article.

until i lose 100lbs, im more concerned with durability, not light weight, which, as another poster mentioned, doesnt mean i dont like nice parts or a nice bike and the nicer stuff, tends, by its nature to be lighter, so ill sum up my statement by saying lightness might be a byproduct, but isnt the goal...of this run on sentence

Last edited by grimace308; 06-18-10 at 01:11 PM.