View Single Post
Old 06-18-10, 02:16 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Absenth
I haven't weighed it, but I'd guess it's about 35 pounds curb weight. And judging from what the bars looked like when I pulled the plugs out. I'll be looking for a set of those $35 aluminum wonders soon.
Crap! I knew there'd be one of you lurking in the shadows! It seem odd to me that the bars would be steel on that bike.

Originally Posted by Absenth
That calculator is fun. Removing 10 pounds, changing nothing else resulted in a 0.3 mph advantage. Moving from the tops of the bars to the drops resulted in a 3 mph advantage.
And removing 10 lbs from the base weight of a bicycle is hard/expensive to do!

The calculator is useful because it gives numbers instead of vague guesses. You should also report the absolute speed that those numbers are associated with. I suspect that the lower speed was somewhere about 18-20mph.

And there are people who obsess about weight and never ride in the drops (my club is full of people like that)! It doesn't make a lot of sense.

The problem with the "weight" argument is that (simplifying a bit) is that many people make the argument: "since Lance rides a light bicycle, I'll be able to ride like Lance if I get a light bicycle".

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-18-10 at 02:27 PM.