View Single Post
Old 06-18-10, 03:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Now for $35 you can get a nice AL bar, that weighs 310g, nice weight saving of a pound, they are not rusty or crusty and are a nice classic bar shape. You can also for $197 go for a carbon bar that weighs 191g an additional saving of 119g, for only $280 you can get a carbon bar that weighs 189g a huge weight saving of 2g for $83. There are of course guys who will say that that 2g saving is worth $83 and those bars make them 16km/h faster. Most of us clydes would probably be happy with the $35 bars that are heavier, because we know that we can lose 119g, visiting the bathroom.
So I can shave off almost 5 ounces from my 20 pound bike for only $300? Who wouldn't do that? ( Anybody who knows the value of a dollar, probably. )

To be fair, though, I'm going to get a pair of CF brake levers when I find them on sale. I don't care about the gram they'll save me; it's the heat transfer. When I go kayaking in the snow, my CF paddle doesn't feel cold to the touch. But metal brake levers get cold, even when my gloves are in the wash.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The problem with the "weight" argument is that (simplifying a bit) is that many people make the argument: "since Lance rides a light bicycle, I'll be able to ride like Lance if I get a light bicycle".
If you look at a high-end camera form, you'll see the same thing. It isn't that a particular hero has a better camera, but "If I pay $8,000 for this 'sports' camera, I'll be able to get good cyclocross photos. Because the problem with my pics couldn't possibly be that I haven't built up enough skill yet."