Thread: Bike Weight
View Single Post
Old 06-18-10, 03:52 PM
grimace308
crash 5

Bikes: 90s? serotta t-max, 09' planet x ti frame w/sram force, '10 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
I'd bet money that you couldn't tell the difference if you rode the bike blindfolded. And you'd probably be surprised, if you could. Even in crits, aerodynamics beats weight.

Yes, there are real effects going on here, but they're tiny, less than 1%, and they're not something the rider can tell without reference to a stopwatch or speed gun.
aerodynamics trumps pretty much everything everything at speed, but we arent talking about aerodynamics. my point is that losing 1lb per wheel will be noticeable and you dont agree...fair enough. i agree that weight anywhere else wont matter, untill my paycheck comes from a pro tour team and im looking down the barrel of a grand tour.

i think if i raced a crit blindfolded, wheel weight would be the least of my concerns. there would be a redistribution of mass, approx 4kilos, from my midsection, to my bibs.

we need some physicists to save the day, or a calculator i havenet found.

assuming the hub is the same, id like to know how much less energy is needed, to propel a wheel to (x) rps, where the tire/rim combo is 3/4lbs lighter and the spokes are 1/4lbs lighter.

its time to head down the block and watch the uptown crit, in the NVGP. emilia fahlin...mmm mmm good