View Single Post
Old 04-25-05, 06:25 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by FotoTomas
I did want to mention that noisebeam and I agree on the idea of "blowing a red". I used the term "blatently" in my first post. If I on my patrol bike or patrol car were to see a cyclist approach a red light, stop, advance after it was clear, I would not fire up my ticket book. I do not believe the law in Florida grants cyclists the right to routinely ignore traffic signals. My pet peeve is those that "blow the red". Thats when "blatently" comes in to play. They believe they can see well enough to ignore the signal and pass on through. That's when I fire up my ticket book.

If you come to a signal that has no sensors that work with a bike and you proceed safely after a full stop and short wait to insure the signal is not going to cycle then no heartburn from me. I still see far too often cyclists riding up the road and blowing the stop sign or red light. That really sets me off and the blue lights go on.
If all police officers were as rational, sensible, and reasonable as FotoTomas, we would have alot more respect for the law. I always make a best effort to trigger a traffic light, and I know which local lights "work" for bikes and which don't. Even when I don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign, I always slow to walking speed or less, and I always yield the right-of-way to the party which has it.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069