View Single Post
Old 04-25-05, 09:35 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Bike: Cyclocross Sacrilege :)

After several attempts, I think I've found my do it all bike: I won't call it a cyclocross bike or I will incur the wrath of Timo from the cyclocross forum. Anyway, here is what I've got going:

Kona JTS with a few modifications (okay a lot of modifications):
Front Der: 105 double to 105 triple
Crankset: Truvative elita double 48/39 to Nashbar trekking 28-38-48
Bottom Bracket: double to triple ISIS bb.
Add-on brake levers: Remove (not compatible with the handlebar bag)
Rack: Blackburn city rack
Fenders: freddy fenders
tires: Nokian Ravagozzi Cross 700-35 to Armadillo Nimbus 700-28
Stock wheelset: hubs: 105 rear/deore(front) Mavic MA3 rims

Alternate (maybe touring/winter) wheelset: 105 hubs A719rims with stock tires or the winter nokians.

I'm thinking about going one step further and putting a deore rear derailleur on there with an 11-34 to get extra hill climbing ability when loaded. I'm sure I can get my daughter and her trailer (approx 60 lbs combined with stuff) up those 12% grade hills with a 28-34. If not, I guess I need to work on strength.

Ideally I would run the road cassette (12-25) during the summer except when touring or trailering the daughter more than just around the neighborhood. Anyone have experience with using two wheelsets with vastly different size cassettes and moderately different sized rims? I don't think I'll have to adjust the rear Der. since the spacing is the same, but what about the front? I'm expecting to have to change the chain and adjust the brakes when I swap wheelsets. Will I need to fiddle with the derailleurs too? (hope not).

I assume ebay is the best place to go to sell all those misc bits and my hybrid bike that this is replacing?

It will be a while before I've got it ready to ride, and I'll post some pictures when its done.