View Single Post
Old 06-21-10, 06:37 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
I've gone from DTs to BEs to brifters. I'm not going back to DTs that's for sure.

My choice, by far, are brifters. I like the ability to brake and shift at the same time, such as when slowing down and shifting to a lower gear.

The only caution I would have about brifters on a touring bike is the....finickiness of a brifter. If/when the gearing no longer shifts smoothly, you'll be required to turn the barrel adjuster for better shifting. However, with BEs you can switch to friction mode and adjust later, which is especially good if you are not mechanically inclined.

Brifters do have a "life" and will eventually wear and have more moving parts and thus increased chance of something going wrong. Whereas BEs can last almost forever and have no springs or gizmos inside of 'em. I had a set for 30 years and eventually gave them away (they were 7 speed) to a guy you uses them on a touring bike now.

I helped a friend of mine build a touring bike just last year. She is older (mid 50s) and was debating on brifters and BEs. I gave my opinion of both and pros and cons. She decided on BEs because she did not want the hassle of adjusting shifting should they go out of adjustment, she was worried about them breaking down and she is not that mechanically inclined. She wasn't worried about "speed" when touring and since she would be touring on rural type roads (not the stop and go of more urban areas), the "braking and shifting" advantage of brifters wasn't high on the list.

SO, if you are going to be touring somewhere where help is not readily available AND if you are not that mechanically inclined, AND this bike is not going to be used for commutuing in an urban area*, then I would suggest BEs.

Otherwise, brifters have come a long way since their introduction...oh, when was that? early 90s, me thinks?

*Yes, many people use BEs on commutting bikes, and yes, they can be used without trouble. However, _I_ would prefer brifters and would recommend same for commuting. JMHO.