Old 06-21-10, 07:49 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Three weeks later, thought I'd do an update:

1. The sign is now cabled to the fencepost with an old bicycle lock. Not to prevent theft, but to keep it from getting blown down by the quarry trucks (aka "18 wheel coal buckets") that frequent my road during the week days.

2. Discovered that the guy I bought the Schwinn and Fuji from is a body man and painter. He decided to keep the urban single speed for his own use, wanted to repaint the frame, so I've torn it down for him (gratis). Want to see what kind of work he's capable of. Could be useful in the future.

3. Got a few other calls, but all of them have started out "I saw your sign that you buy 10-speed, and I was wondering if you'd be interested in . . . . . " Well, there's reason the sign specifies 10-speeds. Best one was the guy who wondered if I'd be interested in his kid's old mountain bike and a trike. He thinks the trike might be a three speed, but would have to go under the porch and pull them out to be sure. Now, that's a real way to get a guy interested in what you've got to sell!

The Schwinn Traveler is almost finished. Turned out to be a lot more time and effort that what I wanted to put in, but the parts outlay stayed within budget, so I can still make a profit on the job. Will probably start pulling the trashed parts off the Fuji this weekend. I've giving myself 4-5 months to get that one done, and am already looking for a few replacement parts for the ones that the corrosion has ruined.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 06-21-10 at 07:53 PM.