NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jurjan
We use a Nammatj 3 GT for the two of us.
When I used to travel alone I had a Nammatj 2 GT.
If you have any questions, please just ask.
I think the Nammatj is a really nice looking tent. Questions:

o Do you find the slope at the foot of the tent is ever a problem in terms of the sleeping bag touching and becoming wet?
o How does this tent do in warm conditions - does it ventilate well, or can it become a bit stifling if there's not much air movement? (Only one door, and both vents are high up).
o Why did you get this one over the lighter Nallo? Was it because of the Kerlon 1800 being more robust, or was it the other design differences (e.g. vents).
o Is the no-seeum mesh on the outer vents useful in practice to keep mosquitoes and bugs out of the vestibule area?
o Is the full mesh door on the vestibule useful?
o How do you dry the tent out in the morning? (Turning a freestanding tent upside down is useful for drying the underside, for example, while still keeping the inner parts open and airing too. Also you can put the tent up inside a motel to dry out better).
o What do you do when you come across a tent pad or other type of solid platform or hard, rocky ground where you can't stake?
o Any other differences which sealed the deal for you?

I guess just a rundown of what features made you choose this over the other Hillebergs would be great. Also, to lend some context, what you think is more important - size, weight, function etc.

Someone else raised a point about a tunnel being more constrained with respect to orienation - you might have to have it lined up in a certain way, but this might not be good for keeping an eye on the bikes. With a freestander like the Staika, you can orient the tent to have the doors pointing any direction.

Sorry for all the questions, I just think this is a really interesting choice, and I'm trying to understand better how the proponents of tunnel tents deal with these "issues". I might yet end up trying out one of the Nallo or Nammatj GT tents, or the Kaitum. Especially if Hilleberg lets me buy a few, planning to return all but two... it could make for an interesting photo article, having them all set up side by side in a gym.

Thanks again,

Neil