View Single Post
Old 06-22-10, 07:14 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
On Saturday, two neighborhood cycling buddies, Bob and Dan, and I rode from Boston/Brookline to Provincetown/Cape Cod. It was about 130 miles door to door, and then a 90-minute ferry ride home to downtown Boston and a 5-mile jog back home. We had great weather as the hot day predicted for the Boston area was tempered by the cool breezes on Cape Cod. At mile 90, we met up with Scott Ryder and his riding companions on the Cape Cod Rail Trail, and had a good meal with Scott and about 10 miles of rail trailness until we had to scoot off and try and catch the earlier ferry (which we failed to do). I was on my Ebisu, Dan was on his A-D Olympiad, Bob on his Jack Taylor, and Scott on his '66 Schwinn Paramount (a gorgeous bike!). I think the three of us neighborhood buddies are still learning about nutrition for these long rides, as Dan was feeling draggy for the first third, Bob got cramps and was overheated in the middle third, and I completely ran out of energy with about 3 miles to go (note to self: when hungry, eat!). Still, we're encouraged enough by our time and pace to plan a 300K ride for next month.

Neal