Old 06-22-10, 10:07 AM
Mr. Jim
Bike Nerd

Bikes: mid 80's Fuji Supreme (commuter), LeRun unicycle thingy Raleigh Centrurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talk me out of buying a Brompton. . .please

As some of you know, I recently decided a folder would be a better fit for my daily commute than my current full size non folding touring bike (Surly LHT). The tourer isn't going to go away but I recently took a new job, moved and am having issues using the Surly for day to day. The touring section of this forum guided me to my Surly, so I figured you fine folk could guide me to a folder.

I have swung back and forth over price, wheel size, folded size etc. Almost pulled the trigger on the Citizen Gotham II and a used Tikit offered by a member of the forums. However looking at the folded size and overall portability of the bikes I held back.

Here's my issue, my new place is much smaller than the old one, it's upstairs and it's a very narrow set of stairs. Hauling a full size bike up them (30 lbs or so) is a pain and isn't doing either the bike or the walls any good. Looking at bikes folded, lugging an odd shape bundle of metal (again 30 lbs or so) doesn't seem to be a much better option. The package is smaller, but not as well balanced it just looks like it would be just as awkward.

Enter the Brompton, yeah I got bike lust bad. Folds to a very small shape, looks easy to carry and I love the fact that I could take it inside most places without issue. Thing is new ones are very expensive in the states, used one are almost as much as new, and hard to find. I had no plans to spend this much when I first started looking.

So, is there another option that would fit the bill for me? Or should I start saving my pennies, I've already been harassing my mates across the pond trying to find someone coming to the U.S. on business in the next couple of months, maybe they can smuggle a nice used one over (lots available here.).

Also are there issues with the bike that I am unaware of? I plan on this being a day to day bike (I live carfree) work is 4-5 blocks, grocery, theater shopping etc are all within 5 miles. It is dead flat I am looking at the S2L with the Sbag.