Thread: Tandem Handling
View Single Post
Old 06-22-10, 03:07 PM
LordKeiella

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the legit concerns merlinextraligh.
Build quality is lacking for sure, which is why it is getting the once over for any braze or weld points that dont look good to me.
I am sure that isn't the original fork. It's an old mountain bike fork I think. I am thinking about switching it out for an old road bike fork and see how I like the handeling compared to this one.
As for speeds, It will be geared for 25mph when the engine hits the governor. I am in no rush. A major part of my trip is the journey itself, so 25 is plenty. And geared for 25, it should leave me plenty of power to motor up the mountain at 20mph at least.
With the engine, and a single bike, no matter the style, my thighs are wayyyyy to close to the 600 degree exhaust, and i aint superman. There is no way I am making 100 miles a day on my legs alone. I need that motor. And lights, and a reserve battery to keep the gps, cell phone, and laptop charged. And lights for the bike, and lights in the tent, and the electric cooled bottle so I can enjoy some cold iced tea at the end of the day! I need the space, and a single just cant do it.
And the handling problems you mention with dead weight, is exactly why I started this thread. To learn what I dont know about how it would handle, and learn how to work with it.

Yeah, it isn't my choice really either, and with an extra $1500 handy, I would indeed make other decisions for the rig I ride. But, it is what I have to work with

swc7916, thanks for that ever-so-insightful and productive contribution to this thread. Maybe next time you could try harder to help not responding.