View Single Post
Old 06-22-10, 05:15 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Silly People Made of Sugar

Just thought I would share a little story of my ride a few minutes ago...

As my work day was winding down (I work from home) I looked in the fridge and noticed I was nearly out of beer. I looked outside and it was lightly raining, but still warm, so I made sure to put on a baseball cap to keep the rain out of my eyes and set off to the store to re-provision.

I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and got a little bit wet (not even soaked through) and as I approached the mall I saw people hiding under awnings, afraid to run to their cars. I received so many looks of pity as I passed.

They must be all made of sugar, afraid to melt from a little rain. I would have been wetter and colder had I just stepped out of the shower than I got from my short ride. I never quite did understand the mentality that rain water = bad. I've never really minded the rain or getting soaked by it unless it was the freezing variety.
On a day like today I sometimes say to myself "that looks like a fun rain to go biking in" - and it's not the first time I've decided to go on a not-entirely-necessary bike ride in such weather. I find it refreshing.

Could it be the building-to car-to building isolation from the elements that causes people to react this way, or is that just my smugness interpreting things? .