Thread: Tandem Handling
View Single Post
Old 06-22-10, 09:43 PM
LordKeiella

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Ritterview, while I am not in any rush, I do have a purpose to the trip in addition to the journey, and do not have unlimited time. I will be thrilled if I can make 100 miles a day on my legs alone, and on the days I can, that little 2 stroke will sit cold, laughing at me for doubting myself. But for the days that my legs revolt after 50, I still have a great way to hit my daily mark. And, if something comes up that takes extra time, or makes me want to hit a checkpoint early, I have more choices with an engine onboard.

As for being a "real cyclist", say what u will, but the simple fact is that an engine, as a secondary propulsion source, gives me options that you mere meat-motor only cyclists can never have. I will hit 100 miles per day, and enjoy the journey, and have a much much lower carbon footprint than any other form of transportation available. I know there r those who will throw a little engine onto a bike, start her up, and never turn the pedals. Those people bug me. Go buy a freakin scooter and stop confusing the issue. I am building a motor ASSISTED bike. NOT a motor bike. If that makes me not a "real-cyclist" then don't bother to wave as u ride by.

I am concerned about both the noise and the pollution of my rig. Since the subject came up, what do you commute in? Get groceries in? Visit friends in? If you are going to look so dimmly at me, then the answer better be a vehicle with an unloaded weight of under 40lbs my friend! I just KNOW you don't drive a cage to some destination and then take your bicycle down from the roof or rear rack to ride do you, Sir Cyclist?

There was a time when I routinely did 21mph on my own power, on a junky road bike. Put 1100 miles on it in a summer, and it was much less appropriate for such duty than this tandem is. So, 25 on the motor does not seem unreasonable to me as a maximum. I only need 12 to keep the daily goals, so the extra speed will be reserved for keeping the schedule if I have problems and need to catch up. The motto for this journey is hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Last edited by LordKeiella; 06-22-10 at 09:52 PM.