Old 06-23-10, 08:16 AM
pharasz
Member from- uh... France

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's funny about this whole situation is that you are just one guy trying to bring your bike into the building. And why are you doing that? Probably because they don't have anywhere safe you can lock it up outside. Now, just imagine if, say 40% of all the folks working in your building started cycling to work and wanted to put their bikes somewhere. Then you would have to agree bikes in the building are not acceptable. But if THAT were to happen, they would be forced to build some sort of safe bicycle parking area outside your building.

Which leads to the question: IS there any provision for bicycle parking outside your building? If there isn't, then the position you should take is: I'll be happy to leave my bike outside when you provide a space that is safe and secure and leaves me confident my bike will still be there when I get off work. If there IS bicycle parking outside the building, I think you might lose this battle.

We have a bike rack just inside our parking garage, which is patrolled by security. Yes, you need a good U-lock to leave it there, but it is under the garage so it is out of the sun and the rain, and it is in the front of the garage so it's pretty secure. The sad part is, the garage has parking for about 2,000 vehicles, and FOUR bicycles. Even sadder, I've never seen more than two bicycles in the bike rack.