Old 06-23-10, 11:45 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
........If you have some buddies who do not mind a finger prick, you might try to round up some "controls" for your own study.
This may NOT apply to this thread, but....

I have been Type 1 for 46 years. When I was bicycling across northern Australia for 6 weeks in 2006, my BS meter (the glucose one, silly..) kept me knowing what to do. I also lost 15 kg. In a year I hope/expect to do the Perth - Sydney run and will follow the same proceedure. The BS level is really important to watch. A dietitian and endocrinologist won't help you in these situations, but for short 1 or 4 day "bursts" they can really help. Maybe you can extrapolate the data from 1 or 4 days to a 42 day marathon, but I could NOT. I had to wing it and adjust my insulin - and test, and test even when I thought things were under control, they were not really under control.. BUT, I kept going OK, did not go hypo (only a couple of times) and had a great trip ... plus I lost 15 kg and felt really GREAT after it was done ;-)