View Single Post
Old 06-23-10, 11:35 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TomT74
I like riding in the rain. Just not in a thunderstorm. A cool shower on a hot muggy day is a real treat sometimes.
Nothing like a good rain to make you feel alive and refreshed, and nothing like riding a bicycle to do the same - combining them is good for the soul.
Thunderstorms and hail are not as much fun, having ridden through both on the same ride once, I speak from experience. Torrential downpours are also not quite as enjoyable, mainly because your brakes become suggestions to the bicycle and you can't see very far. I've always been concerned of how much myself and my steel bike might act as a lightning rod.

As cyclokitty and others have said, it's personally gratifying to look at something that many people think is crazy to do - such as cycling in the rain - and prove that it's actually not crazy, but entirely achievable and often enjoyable.

cruzMOKS - I used to have coworkers offer me a ride home from work on a rainy day, sometimes after I had already ridden there in the rain in the first place. I always declined and would have to do so several times throughout the day.

Thunderstorms have additional dangers beyond the rain, such as high winds and lightning, but plain old rain? I don't quite understand the fuss.