View Single Post
Old 06-24-10, 02:40 AM
warwick.hoy

Bikes: Some old Phillips I'm looking for info on. Hopefully a Marin Hybrid sometime soon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't considered that but I'll look into it.

Today was my first commute into work which at 1.7 miles was a breeze. So worth it not to have to drive. The is a slight up-grade the last two blocks on my journey east (before heading south another 2 blocks to my destination). Couple that with the up-grade the final 6 blocks of my return trip,...my legs are a little tight.

I've been perusing the Advocacy forum and well as the local BAB (Bicycle Advocacy Board). The laws here are convoluted and basically aside from the helmet law (which I'm currently breaking,...I know I plan on getting a helmet) and staying off of limited access highways,...they state that cyclists have to follow all the same rules as motor vehicles,...and that's it,...that's all we get.

What should I be concerned about when it comes to cyclist etiquette? I'm sure there is a lot of common sense sort of stuff but what are some of the finer points. I know I'm not going to avoid impatient drivers but what can I do to minimize my run ins. FWIW My commute consists of Downtown area at speeds of 25 MPH (that most people don't abide).

Scenarios that I'm unclear about deal with one ways IE: Today I got in the far left hand lane on a one way approaching an intersection that was right turn only. I then signaled my way over (light traffic) right hand lane approaching an intersection that had a left turn only. My thought process being that I didn't want to impede the progress of cars that could take advantage of the "free" turn, or be in the way of those turning when the light changed.

Last edited by warwick.hoy; 06-24-10 at 02:52 AM.