tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crackerdog
-jets, I have to disagree with you. If a major manufacturer comes out with a crappy design, it will probably reduce use of utility bikes. Most people buy a bike and are stuck with it, they don't keep buying bikes until they find one that works. Most people wouldn't know why a bike doesn't work for them, they just don't use it.
As far as not being able to have a rough idea of how a bike will ride by looking at a picture, well, if you have never ridden a loaded touring bike or utility bike, I would agree with you. But if you have ridden a few, certain designs are obvious to those with experience.
I agree as far as cargo carrying bikes are concerned. Some designs work and some do not. Weight behind the rear axle will upset weight distribution and handling. I can change the feel of my Big Dummy just by shifting cargo weight forward or aft. On my Swobo Dixon with shopping panniers fully loaded the front end was too light for easy mounting and dismounting too. I can see why the French developed Porteur and Randonneur bikes with frame geometry intended for front end cargo carrying.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/