Old 06-26-10, 01:46 AM
JeanM

Bikes: Surly LHT and Opus Urbano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front loading the LHT

You know how much we hear that the LHT (and most other modern touring bikes) are handling so much better when loaded heavier on the rear? Well, I started traveling with an LHT only last year so I am still learning and experimenting a lot. This time I wanted to experiment what all this meant.

I am about 200 lb. My ride is a 56x26 black LHT, custom as seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeanmon...7623961512567/
According to the trail calculator here:
http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php
the trail on that bike is 62 mm and the mechanical trail 59.
(compare this to 66 mm and 63 mm for the 56x700c LHT with 35 mm tires)
I installed the Surly Nice front rack on it, no rear rack at all and started loading my panniers in low-rider position up to 50 lb, total 55 lb including the rack and panniers weight.

My conclusion: what's the deal? No, seriously, if we are to believe what we read everywhere, like in Bicycle Quarterly, I should hardly be able to control my bicycle. At the very least the ride should be awful, totally unpleasant. The reality is that past 7-8 km/h (4-5 mph) the bicycle goes exactly where it is pointed at, stable as if on rails. Period. No fuss whatsoever. Climbing a long 8-10% hill (Mount Royal in the heart of Montreal, Canada) using the lowest gear (17,2 gearinches) and speed, all was just fine. I turned corners at 20 kph with the same results.

So my question is what am I missing that every one else is reporting? Under which circumstances front loading the LHT becomes a problem? What kind of test should I run to learn the limits that I shouldn't exceed? Is it just because that I am heavier than average, hence loading the rear more than most, that I experience no handling problems?

Thanks for reading this and sharing your thoughts.

Last edited by JeanM; 06-26-10 at 05:16 AM.