Old 06-30-10, 04:40 PM
ph4nt0mf1ng3rs

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Allez, Iro Mark V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pake vs. Rush vs. Scrambler etc., 4130 vs. 631

I know I have already posted a similar post on this forum regarding what steel frame is the best bang for the buck on the market at the moment.
However, as I research all the main frame makers out there, I realize that I may just have to pick and choose a frame blindly and hope that it is better than the others.

My research just is not giving me any indication as to which manufacturer truly is the best choice for a steel track frame.

Now here are the frames that I have looked at (Steel):

Iro Angus
Iro Mark V
Soma Rush
Pake Track
Surly Steamroller
Eigthinch Scrambler
Mercier Kilo TT

I know there are others, however only a few meet the demands that I have: namely geometry. Those are the Soma and the Pake as well as teh Scrambler.

My dilema is with teh tubing. What really distinguishes 4130 from 631? How significant is the difference and does the pricing reflect that significance?

How much weight difference is TO much weight difference?

What Id REALLY like to see on this site eventually, is a shootout similar to car shootouts in Car and Driver magazine and Road and Track. That is, to gather all the Steel framed bicycle frames and test them with equal component groups, and gather all the aluminum framed bicycles and test them against eachother with equal component groups, and rate them much like they do in teh car magazines.

There probably already is one, but I doubt that there is one specific for steel-track bikes of the makes/models that are often talked about on this site.

But in any case, my post is mainly to investigate IN DEPTH, the differences between these frames, positive and negative attributes etc.