gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Absenth
How many of you use tools like google maps to search out new routes to work?

I found myself looking tonight at ways to extend my 7.33 mile (one way) commute to something more than that. Came up with a 9.3 mile ride that should be wonderful, an 11 mile ride, and a 16.2 mile ride.

The last two intentionally take me well out of my way. I'm going to drive the two later routes to make sure the roads I've selected (which I'm unfamiliar with) are suitable for safe bicycle commuting.

What do all of you do for route planning?

7.3 Miles: My Most Direct Route

9.3 Miles Alternate Route #1

11 Miles Alternate Route #2

And Finally
16.2 Miles Alternate Route #3

Great that you have options... I would put my money on the 7.3 and 9 miles route. But that's just a swag.

I would not use the car to scout out those routes.

I would prefer riding them early Sunday morning when there's no or low traffic. Problem is that using the car shields you from a lot of input. For example, a rough road for a bike might not seem that rough in a car. Also, riding on the bike gives you an idea of how tired you will be after the ride. This might dissuade you from the longest route (or it might convince you.) Car won't help you with that.

Lastly, riding a car will not give you a good feel for hills and traffic. These routes might seem flat in a car, but might surprise you one a bike. You might also get the impression driving a car that there's lots of traffic, which might not be your impression on a bike. Traffic often travels in bunches with rather lengthy interludes between them. You get a feel of the pace on a bike. You don't in a car.