danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
OK I have not been a part of this conversation, but I wish to interject something here... motorists already feel that bikes don't belong and the roadway designers tend to reinforce that mindset by continuing to design roadways as if pedestrian and cyclist traffic doesn't matter. The unintended consequences are already there... so how about when such designs are made (such as 50+MPH roads with high speed merges) they should also include provisions for cyclists. Otherwise... such roads do not belong anywhere except for limited access freeways.

The more a roadway resembles a freeway, the less the general cycling public is going to feel comfortable using it. Yes, I agree that this all perpetuates the myth that cyclists don't belong, but "forcing" cyclists to use such roadways is NOT going to foster good will with either motorists nor the general cycling public... only the boldest and bravest cyclists will use such roads.... thus limiting cycling to "the choir," while eliminating "the congregation."
There's much to what you say, Gene, particularly when you point out road features in addition to high speed. There are many 50 mph roads with wide lanes that appear to me to be safe for cycling. I ride them regularly. But I certainly wouldn't ride on a freeway. My main issue is that all but limited access freeways SHOULD be designed for bicycle travel and part of such design should be features that communicate to all that the cyclist has equal and sometimes superior rights to the road. I have nothing against a well designed bike lane that does not inadvertently or otherwise signal bikes should stay off.

Sharrows and other signs may not be the entire answer, but at least they do not proclaim that cyclists should ride in a proscribed path and no where else. I agree with those who say that frequently bike lanes are simply designed, and often poorly so, to simply keep cyclists off the roads. Couldn't most of us agree that most streets could use more signs and sharrows and other indicators that bikes belong? I would like to see more publicity along those lines, including the need for the three foot rule, with presumptions that favor cyclists. But the law is of little help unless it is publicized.